Duhigg’s book discusses how the brain uses the power of habit so that the brain, and you, do not have to work as hard on trivial things. While some habits are good and useful – there are plenty of habits that are bad and debilitating. When we are not careful the bad habits take control, and your power to overcome them is weak. The habits take over without thought and that is what makes them so powerful.
I listened to this book about two years ago, and I found so many instances it has applied to since then. Most notably – I have found how it applies to people with medical conditions. When you have a difficult condition in which you have had surgery or require long-term care for, the doctor will prescribe medication, but recommendations from him or her do not stop at pill popping. Unfortunately people, who are tired from surgery and/or pain, form bad habits, and fail to follow doctor’s orders beyond popping the pills. What happens as a result? The body continues to get weaker because your brain created the habit of not having to work hard. No pain, No gain – right?
- What is the point of getting a knee replaced if you are not willing to work, and keep moving, to make the new knee useful?
- What is the point of eye surgery if all you use your better vision for is watching the television?
- What is the purpose of overcoming a bad accident just to do nothing with the extended life you were awarded?
- What is the purpose of an organ transplant and if you sit around and stop living?
- What is the purpose of the taking anti-depressant medication and then still living a depressing life?
Medicine has given people the ability to live longer and healthier, but our habits are making these advances in medicine worthless. Take the time to follow all orders, and take the time to do your own research so that you are in control of your health. Recognize bad habits and work to make good habits stronger. Our lives depend on our decisions, and your loved ones depend on you helping yourself too.
Read and listen to this book. Find out how it applies to you and those around you, and use it to become a part of the solution. More importantly – start living a better and healthier life!